Why post when you can comment? (and the 2nd installment of a Little Brit Different)

>> September 30, 2009

I should totally just copy what I write in people's comments and put them here as a post.  I'm way wittier and I do it more often.  I really am working on getting my life in order.  It seems like this month has just been a total wash.  But new month tomorrow, right?  Jeff's birthday is coming up and I'm looking forward to maybe even having a babysitter so we can have a meal by ourselves for once celebrate in style.  More on that to come.

And now, for something...



Jeff and I saw this the other day at the grocery store and I wish I'd stopped to take a picture, but I fear I was gawping a little too long to long and the lady had gone into the store.  Apparently it's not such a big deal to have an infant in the front seat of a vehicle here.  And it's not like this was only a 2-seater, there was more than enough room in the back to put the carseat.  And it's not like this was an older child, this was an infant in a rear-facing carry seat thingy.  And it's not like this was an older car with no airbag up front, it was a swank, new model, silver BMW.  I really hope my jaw didn't make too loud a noise as it hit the ground.

*Okay, so I just looked up UK child seat law and apparently it is actually illegal to put a rear-facing child seat in the front IF there is an active airbag.  Who knows, maybe she can turn hers off, or maybe she's just wildly mis-informed.  But on another interesting note, with the exception of rear-facing, it is totally legal to put a child in any other kind of seat in the front as long as they're properly restrained.  (For non-North-Americans or childless folks, you can't put a child in the front seat until they're 12 years old or a certain height/weight in North America)

**Please don't think I'm saying that people on this side of the pond are all heartless people putting their children in mortal danger (although in the case of a rear-facing child seat in a possible air-bag zone I'm tempted), I actually find it refreshing to be in a place with significantly less paranoia fear caution.  And I have to say, given a drive through the country with just Asher and I, I would be tempted to move him to the front seat so I can interact with him more and perhaps be able to give him food and/or drink without completely dislocating my shoulder and trying to watch the road and child behind me at the same time, which, come to think of it, is likely the most dangerous bit right there.

1 people had this to say:

Anonymous October 1, 2009 at 2:30 AM  

Love, love, LOVE your witty blogs, heather. You really could/should write comedy for a living. Keep 'm coming. And also those pictures...or are you just toying with us??!!
Mom

About This Blog

I love this adventure I'm on with my Rocket Scientist. The most recent addition to our expedition has me in awe daily. I can't wait to see My Little Man as a big brother. We started off by moving from Western Canada to Chicago and now we're in the UK. Will this Strange Mamma ever not feel like a stranger in the land?

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP